Thursday, August 21, 2014

Black on Red with White In Between


Black on Red with White In Between

     Hello everyone who still reads this (hopefully). I wanted to have it sooner but, I got sick and have been fighting off a cold for a couple of days.... Anyway here is the fitted skirt I finished. 

     The skirt takes about two yards of fabric but, I'm rounding up and I got inspired a bit by a Korean pop music performance. I wanted this skirt to be sexy, when you walk it makes guys want to look at those legs that they love so much. The patterned black and white part part of the skirt is remnants from Joann and the red is fabric I had laying around. I top stitched the seams in a decorative way but, a different way. There are two decorative stitches on both dies of the seam for the front and one stitch on both side of the seams for the side seams and back. There are zippers that start from the hem and go up four inches which you can unzip (I should of gone with a longer zipper for it now that I'm thinking about it) which was for the "sexy" effect. The back closure is a centered zipper, 9 inches. The hem is a 1 1/3 inch hem. The seams are finished off by a domestic finish but, for anyone who is interested, I added an extra inch or inch and a half on the pattern and then folded it and sewed it off then treated it like a finished piece of fabric so with 5/8 seams and all. 

     In my personal opinion though, for anyone who doesn't have a serger, if you decide to finish your seams the way I did for this project, it really does look nice and makes it easier to work with. Its more work though in a sense but, for zippers especially you don't have to worry about it unraveling. I thought about zig zagging but, I'm working on an older machine and don't understand the zig zag stitch to well yet and if you don't zig zag right on the edge, the fabric unravels up to the zigzag in a bad looking way. 

     Anyway if you guys have any other questions please feel free to leave any comments below and I hope you enjoy this skirt. Now for my next project I'm not to sure but, super excited at the very least! 

No comments:

Post a Comment