Friday, March 2, 2012

Stookie Stackhouse Tie Back Dress Inspired


                                                                                          

Pattern Used (Simplicity 2362) and fabric
Inspiration

Frontal View
 
Back View With Ties
    
Close up of opening and pleats on side

How the hem was finished

I <3 Kitties



Welcome to my first blog post everyone.

This dress was a request from my sister, the pattern was bought from Joannes I believe a year or two ago and when she said she wanted this dress made I said I have something that will work. I used Simplicity Pattern 2362, the fabric was bought from Joanne's discount red tag fabric and is 100% cotton. I chose and like and usually work with 100% because its breathable and is one of the better fabrics for sensitive skin. As for the color she chose it, I just said choose 100%.

As for the process it was a bit tedious in the beginning. I had to first measure my sister and found her measurements fluctuated from the original sizes I remember her having. Also when I looked at the pocket pieces I was both intrigued since I didn't know if this was an inset pocket or patch pocket. The original pattern also called for a zipper and wasn't made to be converted into a tie back but, I wasn't concerned about it since that was the last thing I was worried about. It was the V you see in the back which was the point I wanted to get but, not so deep where it showed her panties. I eventually came up with the idea of using the regular 7 inch's down the top of the skirt pattern and stopping it there and then pulling it wide across enough but, also careful of the stress I created and the puckers it could create. The other problem was the excess fabric I ran into. When I ran into that I originally wanted to make darts but, since I altered the waist of the skirt pattern I didn't have enough so I then created pleats since I thought it would be cute idea and still look nice. After I tried it I was pleased with the outcome but, I just was safe since it also did create a bit of a poof effect around the skirt. What you don't see on the pictures is that in the front of the dress, on the waist line there are also pleats both on the waist and below the sweetheart neckline where it dipped. The pleats were just an 1 and 1/2 inch folded and doubled stitched. Once to hold the fabric and another for decoration. Any questions and please ask in the comments questions.

(Note: Darts are used to take in excess unwanted fabric)

Sorry this is so long.

3 comments:

  1. wanted to be the first one to comment but whatever...love the dress, your blog is amazing already. #1 fan!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anna Paquin plays a character named Sookie Stackhouse. Who is Stookie?

    ReplyDelete